AS A NON-GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATION, WE APPOINT SEVERAL REPRESENTATIVES TO THE UNITED NATIONS IN NEW YORK TO ENSURE THAT ARMENIAN WOMEN ARE PART OF THE WORLD’S CONVERSATION.
Our panel for the sixty-sixth session of the Commission on the Status of Women will take place March 19, 2022, unless otherwise noted. The priority theme is Achieving gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls in the context of climate change, environmental, and disaster risk reduction policies and programs.
AIWA will focus on the underlying impacts climate crisis has on vulnerable communities. Our participation will expand on current needs and what we can do to build and make a tangible difference working towards a future that is more equal, resilient, and sustainable for women and girls and ultimately families.
Why does the UN matter for AIWA?
By participating in panels, meetings and discussions, we increase the civic engagement of Armenian women and enable them to speak on behalf of others
Having a voice and providing input means AIWA can influence the importance of Armenia and Armenian women within the global agenda of the UN.
AIWA sets an example for others and paves the way for future leaders from the community.
- Represented as a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) at the United Nations in New York since 1992
- Sponsored several panels at the UN and participates in the NGO Commission on the Status of Women annual sessions in March
- Met privately during our International Conference in Geneva with the Director General of the UN, Sergei Ordjonikidze, to discuss several issues, among them the role of women in peacekeeping and conflict resolution.
- authored with AGBU and ARF a joint letter to his Excellency António Manuel de Oliveira Guterres, Secretary General of the United Nations, asking him to take immediate action concerning the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict (Oct 27, 2020)
- 4 AIWA members attended the UN Women’s Conference in Beijing, China, 1995
Representative Past AIWA UN Panels
- Women’s Economic Empowerment in a Changing World of Human Environment — 2021
- Elevating Armenian Women’s Role in Decision Making and Domestic/International Relations — 2020
- Women as Agents of Sustainable Peace: From Revolution to Governance — 2019
- Amplifying Voices and Choices: Pathways to Ensuring Rural Gender Equity — 2018
- Economic Empowerment of Women: Lessons from Armenia — 2017
- Development of Programs and Evaluation Methodologies Designed to Achieve Gender Equality — 2016
- The Role of Men in in Preventing Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence — 2013
- Rural Women: Imagery and Empowerment — 2012
- Women’s Rights are Human Rights: Commemorating the 60th Anniversary of the UN Declaration of Human Rights — 2008
- Climate Change and the Mind-Body-Spirit Connection: Challenges for Holistic Health and Education — 2007
Women in Climate: From Decision Making to Financing (Part 2)
Women in Climate: From Decision Making to Financing
AIWA Women Shaping Global Standards: Safety, Health & Wellness
Women in Leadership: Are Institutions Ready for Women’s Success?
Women in Humanitarian Action: Leading in Crisis
Women in Government: Challenging the Norm
Empowering Armenian Women from Different Perspectives
Women Entrepreneurship: Creating Opportunity & Wealth in Communities